The Nord Lead 2's combination of warm analog sound and cutting-edge digital technology brought it prominence in the synthesiser community. With its simple, intuitive design also came its musicality and expression. Possessing the same characteristic sound and functions as the Nord Lead 2, the Nord Lead 2X features great improvments.
Better Polyphony, Better Memory and Better Sound
The Nord Lead 2X has a 20 voices polyphony, great for when creating busy layered sounds. This is also useful when using different sounds on different keys.
It includes a large internal memory holding 4 x 99 user Programs, 100 user Performances and 4 x 10 user Percussion Kits plus 6 x 99 factory Programs and 3 x 100 factory Performances. The Nord Lead 2X is 100 patch compatible with the Nord Lead 2, meaning transferable sounds directly between the models via MIDI.
The Nord Lead 2X also boasts a refined sound thanks to new 24-bit DACs running at 96kHz.
A Compact and Versatile Tool
The Nord Lead 2X's compact and smart design is great for the live performance and in the studio. It has 26 knobs and 27 buttons - all sending MIDI controller data, giving it the ability to communicate with every piece of MIDI gear in your setup.
You can potentially use the Nord Lead 2X as a sound design tool and a MIDI controller in one. It becomes a dedicated hardware synth that allows realtime sculpting of custom sounds.
The keyboard can be split to have two sounds layered on either side of the split point. Four simultaneous programs can be played at once, and with a movable split point.
Both the keyboard and rack versions of the Nord Lead 2X are 4-part multitimbral, and these four parts are used together in the Performance Mode. The Nord Lead 2X also has four assignable outputs, so each Performance voice can be routed to its own analog output. Imagine the 2X in a multi-monitor studio setup, or in a creative multi-speaker PA system, and you can begin to see how much fun the Nord Lead 2X can be.
Virtual analog brings the digital and classic knob functions together, recreating the warm, thick sound of analog synths without the overheating or tuning deficiencies. Modern technology allows the knobs to not only digitally manipulate the internal sound, but also send MIDI information to be captured in a sequencer or change a parameter on another MIDI-enabled device.
Nord is known for many things, including the unique Pitch Stick and modulation wheel combo. With the Pitch Stick, you can create your own vibrato, much like a guitarist or violinist, without the ?dimple? resting place other pitch benders use. The ?dead zone? has been conquered! The ergonomic handling adds another dimension to your performance.
You can control the special Velocity Programming section with the Modulation Wheel, making it possible to continuously morph between parameter settings. This feature allows you to shape your sound in real time.
When in the studio, the Nord Lead 2X offers real time MIDI recording of knob settings and special ?MIDI patches? to recreate many of the effects produced by external patching on traditional units. For example, have your pre-recorded drum pattern trigger filter and amplifier envelopes, where the hi-hat pattern triggers the filter envelope and the kick drum pattern simultaneously triggers the amplifier envelope.
Four Synths in one!
With four accessible parts on the front panel, you can instantly create layers with up to four different sounds, where each separate sound in the layer can easily be edited in real time. Each sound can have its own independent output. Make up super patches in the Performance section. Create monster basses and mega pads.
Click on the link below for more information on the sections and percussion kits of the Nord Lead 2X:
- Polyphony: 20 voices. 4 part multitimbral.
- User Interface: 3 digit display, 26 knobs and 27 buttons for program editing.
- Width: 865mm (34")
- Depth: 265mm (10.4")
- Height: 105mm (4.1")
- Weight: 5.3 kg (11.7 lbs).
- Programs (single sounds): 297 (3 x 99) user, 693 (7 x 99) factory.
- Performances (multi sounds): 100 user, 300 (3 x 100) factory.
- Percussion kits (multi zone sounds): 30 (3 x 10) user, 70 (7 x 10) factory.
- Velocity Morphing: Each function, controlled by a knob, can be controlled to respond to keyboard velocity.
- Wheel Morphing: Each function, controlled by a knob, can also be controlled by the Modulation Wheel/Control Pedal to continuously fade between two sets of values.
- 4 octave velocity sensitive keyboard with octave shift buttons (+/-2 oct.)
- Keyboard Split, two sections
- Modulation Wheel
- Pitch Stick (with no dead zone at zero crossing)
- 1 pedal input for sustain
- 1 for expression pedal.
- 4 Line Level Audio Outputs:¼", 6,35 mm jacks, unbalanced
- Stereo Headphone Output: ¼", 6,35 mm stereo jack
- Sustain Pedal:¼", 6,35 mm jack. Use a momentary pedal, like e.g, Roland DP-2, DP-6, Yamaha FC-4, FC-5, Fatar VFP1-25 etc.
- Control Pedal:¼", 6,35 mm TRS stereo jack. Use a Roland EV-5 Control/Expression pedal
- MIDI in & out: 5 pin DIN connectors
- Number of Outputs: 4 outputs. Each slot has its own output.
- Modes: stereo, mono and multi-timbral mode.
- Headphones out
- High resolution low noise 24 bit DACs
All control knobs and switches for program editing send and receive control change messages. System exclusive bulk dumps. One program or all programs. MIDI clock synchronizing LFO 1 and LFO 2/arpeggiator restart. Triggering of the filter and amplifier envelopes and velocity control from separate programmable MIDI channel and note numbers.
- User Manual
- Power Cord with IEC320 C7 connector
- Nord CD-ROM
- Rack Ears (Nord Rack 2X only)